Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sorry I haven't been around!

My schedule is completely nuts right now. I have been working on a school project that is about 1/4 of my grade today. It's due tomorrow night at 11:00 p.m. and it's almost done. I also have some homework (for the same class) that I must try to finish before then as well. I was supposed to have been doing it throughout the quarter (just few point assignments here and there) but I have been so busy that I didn't have time to do them all.

I did much better on my eating this weekend than last so I'm excited about that.

I was not able to do C25K on Thursday last week since I had a small groin injury but I seem to be doing much better, so back to training tomorrow. It's supposed to be beautiful this week and so I'm quite excited to be running outside. :)

I know I was supposed to blog about my sister several days ago so I'm sorry but here goes (the short version)...

Anyone who knows me knows that I have a younger sister, Naomi, who is 15 months younger than me. She is an unmedicated bi-polar/schizophrenic...not a good combination at all. She self-medicates with crack cocaine and supports her habit with some not-so-good choices. She was living up in Michigan, near my mom and brother Julian, for the past couple of months. She was pregnant and ended up having another miscarriage because of stupid choices but we thought she was doing a little better.

Long story, short, she invited herself down last weekend since the rest of my family was coming in for my National Honor Society ceremony. She and my brother ended up having a huge blow-up on the drive down here; she hit him, yelled obscenities about our mom, and then (as they were arguing on the side of the highway) tried to run out into oncoming traffic and kill herself. The whole time my poor niece (whom my mom is raising) witnessed this whole fiasco and was pretty hysterical. Naomi went off the deep end...to put it mildly. They couldn't get her calmed down and so they just left her. I'm not so sure I would have made that choice but there wasn't anything I could do about it after the fact.

So...I'm fairly certain she is back down in Columbus, Ohio, running the streets, strung out on God only knows what. It breaks my heart to know that, and not being certain she is okay, but we have done everything we can do to help her get better. Every time she is close to getting medicated and getting better, she bolts. And there's not much you can do to force a nearly 29-year old to seek mental health treatment.

That's it in a nutshell. :( If you are religious, please say a prayer for her. If not, please send positive thoughts our way. Thanks.

I'm going to be pretty busy the next two days with school but I promise I'll be back to blogging regularly after Tuesday...

4 comments:

Becky said...

Jess, I'm sorry you had such a rough time with your sister. Family can be so frustrating some times :(

Jess said...

Amen, Becky. You have no idea.

Sara said...

OMG! Sweetie!!! What a TERRIBLE AWFUL thing to be going through! You must be torn up into a million pieces! I'm so sorry that your sister is so off the beaten path. I'm sure it's heart breaking to have to watch. Especially since you can't help someone who doesn't want help. You poor thing, on top of everything else, you have this.

If you need a shoulder, you know where to find me. Keep your chin up GF!

Jess said...

You know what Sara? I'm so numb to the whole situation because she's been this way for so long. It is heart-wrenching but it is my family's life. Maybe she will turn herself around one of these days. One can only hope. Thanks for your support, hon.