Thursday, October 16, 2008

Three minute low carb flourless chocolate cake

Say that 3 times fast!


So my low-carb hero, Becky, introduced me to this site. I've been eyeballing many recipes that I'm going to try out over the coming weeks. I decided to try this recipe out (from the same site):


3-MINUTE FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE

1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons cocoa
Tiny pinch salt, optional
1 egg
2 tablespoons Da Vinci sugar free syrup, vanilla flavor
4 teaspoons granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda

In a small microwaveable bowl microwave the butter for about 15-20 seconds on HIGH until completely melted. Whisk in the cocoa and salt until smooth. Whisk in the egg until well blended then whisk in the remaining ingredients until you have a smooth batter. Microwave on HIGH 1 minute. Cool completely or serve slightly warm.

Makes 1 serving
Can be frozen

With granular Splenda: Per Serving: 210 Calories; 18g Fat; 8g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda: Per Serving: 202 Calories; 18g Fat; 8g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs


Here are the fruits of my labor:





Now bear in mind that I'm not a chocolate cake fan at all, but I was extremely surprised that this was very cake-like. It was not too shabby. It had a strong chocolate taste and didn't taste too diety. That's whipped cream on the top, by the way. It's my very own recipe as follows:

Low Carb Whipped Cream

1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
3 packets of Splenda
1 teaspoon vanilla

Dump ingredients in a bowl together and mix together until fluffy (about two minutes).

Under Atkins this would be 3 carbs (although I don't count the Splenda, but that's just me).

2 comments:

Becky said...

I think I've also made it with peanut butter instead of butter. Decent stuff.

Jess said...

Oooh! That's a great idea! I think I'll try that next time. Sounds like a Reese's Cup and I <3 those! :)