Saturday, August 2, 2008

Open mouth, insert foot!

You will learn very quickly that I am an idiot. I am not your average, run o' the mill person. I am one of those obnoxious, embarrassing people who like to say the first thing that comes to their mind. It's not always pretty.

Case and point tonight. We were checking out at Walmart (I've semi-ended my boycott, BTW...they have a few things there that I can't find elsewhere) and Collin (my 2-year old) decided that he wanted to start pushing buttons on the ATM/Debit card machine. He accidentally pushed the 'Spanish' button. I looked over and I was a little disoriented and confused and so I looked at him and said "Collin! Why'd you do that? We're not Mexican! We don't speak Spanish!" (BTW...I frequently have one-sided conversations with him at the grocery...helps me keep my sanity with all the WT Walmart shoppers I encounter) Anywho...the cashier and the bagger just stare at me and give me a nervous laugh. My husband looks at me with this "You've got to be fucking kidding me" look like "I can't believe you just said that!" I quickly apologize and say "I am so sorry! I did NOT mean that in a derogatory way." At that point I was just digging so I gave up with a nervous chuckle and high-tailed it out of there as soon as I could.

If anyone has any self-help books they can loan me on "How not to look like an ass in front of people," I sure could use them.

No comments: